Dec 26, 2006

In a different light

This made us miss celebrating xmas with friends even more......

Let me try once more to describe this in a different light. Christmas is celebrated as a big festivity with friends in here, it seems that the concept is well accepted, although it has lost its r*ligious meaning somehow, but still won’t miss the fun with all xmas feast, eggnogs, roast turkey and brandy snaps …. *that’s quite a Kiwi thing though. Mike is crazy about those delicacies*

I was pleasantly surprise to learn that in the town where I live in, people are quite adaptive somehow to this ‘western culture’. Mike shared with me the other day that he hesitated to start a promotion on christmas dinner thing, concerned on how the market was going to react. Well, they LOVE these things. First dinner was a success. The second one, coming soon for 350 seats, all sold out. What amazes me, was that these guys had only 3 weeks to launch it and made a success. In a small town like this, very impressive, babe! Well done! Honestly, I’ve never imagined that I would be part of an authentic christmas celebration in a local way. It’s uniquely Changshu, what their perception of what christmas should be like.

I think I’m getting to learn a bit more about them. The hotel lobby was full of little “elves” - those angelic creatures with wings and white stockings, bunch of kids wearing Santa’s little helpers outfit with clown’s face painting…… a bit of here and there, actually. But, they were quite cheerful and giggly.